Crested Butte’s mountain setting has multiple personalities, throwing aside winter’s regal silver and white cloak to boogie into summer’s flashy, non-stop party. Here are some of our favorite activities for each season.
Alpine skiing, snowboarding, Nordic skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating, sledding, sleigh rides, dog sledding, snowmobiling, backcountry tours, ice climbing, ice fishing.
Hiking, mountain biking, rafting, backpacking, fishing, rock climbing, jeeping, hunting, dirt biking, chairlift rides, golf, tennis, mountain ascents, history and nature tours.
Fine dining, shopping, galleries, Mountain Theatre plays, Crested Butte Music Festival concerts, live music, Center for the Arts productions, yoga and other mind/body/spirit disciplines, spa visits, workshops and classes, fitness facilities and museum/history tours.
Crested Butte Film Festival, Wildflower Festival, Arts Festival, Crested Butte Bike Week, Alpenglow Concerts, Crested Butte Music Festival, July 4th celebration, Move the Butte, Chefs on the Edge/Tour de Forks, Paragon People’s Fair, Vinotok Fall Festival, national championships for freeskiing and snowboarding, Al Johnson Memorial Uphill/Downhill Telemark Ski Race, Alley Loop Nordic Ski Race through town, Mardi Gras, Elk Mountains Grand Traverse backcountry ski race, Flauschink. For dates, call us or the Chamber of Commerce, 800-545-4505.
Top 10 things to do in the summer
- Ride the chairlift up and hike to the peak of Mt. Crested Butte
- Ride Trail 401 on a mountain bike
- Go whitewater rafting in Taylor Canyon
- Go rock climbing with Irwin Mountain Guides
- Hike and check out the famous wildflowers around CB
- Go hot-air ballooning
- Have a beer on the deck at The Eldo
- Go swimming at Long Lake or other high-mountain lake
- Check out an Alpenglow concert on a Monday evening
- Check out the Farmers Market on Sundays
Top 10 things to do in the winter
- Enjoy the world-renowned steeps at Crested Butte Mountain Resort
- Go snowcat skiing at Irwin
- Nordic ski out toward Paradise Divide
- Go dog-sledding
- Drive a snowcat at CBMR
- Go backcountry skiing or ice climbing with Irwin Guides
- Ice skate at Big Mine Ice Rink
- Do a sleigh-ride dinner on the mountain or Nordic ski to a yurt dinner
- Do a snowshoe tour
- Grab food and a beer while enjoying the views from the Butte 66 deck
Other fun ideas
- Explore Elk Avenue and historic downtown Crested Butte
- Visit the Crested Butte Mountain Heritage Museum
- Treat yourself to a fine dinner at one of our great restaurants
- Go horseback riding
- Go fly-fishing or ice-fishing
- Catch a show at the Princess, Eldo, Public House or Center for the Arts
- Try stand-up paddleboarding on a lake or stream
- Lounge/picnic/fish at Lake Irwin
- Enjoy one of Crested Butte’s many festivals
- Do the ArtWalk tour of art galleries and studios